Types of teaching jobs in Korea PDF Print E-mail
Dec 13, 2015 at 08:09 PM

There are basically two different types of jobs available when it comes to English Teaching in Korea.  One is to teach English in the Public School sector and the other is to teach in the Private Language Institutions.  While the general qualifications for both opportunities are similar, the benefits and the working conditions are slightly different.

General Information


By Korean E-2 Visa Law, all native English teachers need to satisfy below general qualifications

The native English teacher should have a citizenship from one of the following countries:

New Zealand
South Africa
United Kingdom 
United States of America

Must have studied from the junior high level (7th grade) and resided for at least 10 years or more in one of the above countries.

Hold a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree of any discipline from an accredited university.

Ethnic Koreans with legal residency in one of above countries can apply, but must provide a proof of English education beginning from the junior high school level.
If you are a male citizen of the Republic of Korea under the age of 35, you must have either completed mandatory military service or have received an official waiver from Korean Military Manpower Administration (http://www.mma.go.kr/eng).

Have never been charged (whether convicted or dismissed) with more than a minor traffic violation. 
Driving under the influence of alcohol or other substances is not considered a minor offense.

Teaching experience is preferred but not a must. If you have teaching experience, you will be offered better salary and benefits.